Program Contents: 23 minutes
Captioning: Open Captioned
Copyright Date: 1998
DISABILITY DOWN THROUGH THE AGES
From ancient times to telethons to today's burgeoning disability movement, A Little History Worth Knowing traces the often-over-looked history of people with disabilities.
Although the video doesn't shy away from the abuses of the past (including Hitler's extermination of more than 200,000 people with disabilities), it ends with a hopeful look at the future as changing attitudes and advancing technology help people with disabilities to enter the global economy.
A Little History Worth Knowing is an informative, entertaining primer on disability awareness. It is a shorter and more concise version of the video Unfinished Business.
With a combination of hard-hitting facts and rare historical footage, the video looks at:
• Stereotypes in films, TV, and other media.
• The ongoing struggle for disability rights.
• The effects of technology on people's ability to work and live independently.
• Disability as a diversity issue.
• Historical stereotypes, including the "medical model".
• 1999 International CINDY - Silver Award