Program Contents: 17 minute
Copyright Date: 2008
PETER LEIDY WITH CHRISTINE MAYER
This program is based on a workshop Peter Leidy offers, and is designed as a discussion starter for training and conversations with people providing or coordinating direct support.
In this video, Peter -- with the help from Christine Mayer and others -- looks at ten essential components of quality direct support.
What Does It Take to Do Our Best?:
1. Believing in positive possibilities
2. Building community relationships
3. Listening deeply
4. Working as a team
5. Embracing curiosity
6. Understanding the power of language
7. Supporting people through relationships with them
8. Asking "What brings out the best in this person?"
9. Having power with, not power over
10. Questioning structures and policies that limit people